Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Bishop Fred Henry - Diocese of Calgary, Canada

What is unacceptable is political duplicity. All too many politicians try to hide behind, statements such as: "I'm personally opposed to abortion, but I will not impose my belief or morality on others" or "Because abortion is so controversial, I must remain neutral and let each person decide on their own."

If someone said: "I'm personally opposed to child abuse and rape, but I will not impose that belief on potential child abusers and rapists," we wouldn't let them hide behind such nonsense. Nor should we let politicians hide behind similar nonsense in the case of abortion.

The U.S. bishops set up a committee to discuss possible disciplinary sanctions for defiant Catholic politicians. I am anxiously awaiting the outcome of their discussions. In the meantime, I believe the question, "If a dissident Catholic leader obstinately persists in opposing fundamental Church teaching, should he or she be turned away if they present themselves for Communion," has to be answered, "Yes."

Source: No communion for John Kerry, by Bishop Fred Henry. Western Catholic Reporter May 19, 2004.

Related Links: